Monday, June 04, 2007

Footwork

Skip left, hit. Skip right, hit. Skip left, backhand, skip right, forehand.

I'm standing in front of my mirror doing the 1-2-step, racket in hand, an image of a ball somewhere in my head but not in front of me. For some reason, the only thought that comes to mind is that if someone were to walk into my room at this moment, the person'd think I've finally gone crazy.

'You play like a robot,' Alan and Kip told me at the WV State Championships.

I know I play like one -- I hardly move, and stretching allows me to retrieve a lot of balls although my waist begins to protest after an hour or two... which is why I try to do the Falkenberg or the 1-2-step in front of my mirror nearly everyday. I don't stand in one place as much as I used to before, but I'm still a long way off from good footwork.

I'm getting there...

No comments: